The eco-style is a popular trend in garden design, which is increasingly being used by owners of suburban areas, restaurants and city cafés. The idea of making the environment almost natural with the pergola awning is not new.
A pergola awning will be a wonderful solution for a part of the garden. The construction was invented a long time ago, but it still does not lose popularity: many residents in Spain want to buy pergola awning structures for their summer houses.
What is a pergola awning.
These are wind-resistant structures for protection from sun and rain, a sort of combination of an awning and a pergola. They are distinguished by the presence of a fabric part that completely covers the rain. Awnings are multifunctional, they have several varieties:
- Adjacent to the building: attached to its wall;
- Suspended: on light aluminium supports;
- Separately positioned on one and two slopes.
The awning folds down when not needed, manually or with an automatic folding system. They are used to decorate terraces in the countryside, carports, playgrounds. They also work well in urban environments.
Pergola awnings: styles and purposes.
In landscape design, there are 3 fundamental design principles:
The first says that pergola canopies (you can still buy prefabricated) should be built according to the parameters of the site, taking into account the rest of the structures on it. If the house is huge, then you will miss a modest wooden canopy on the side, and you can hardly call it comfortable. The same will be true if the area is too small and the supporting frames are tall.
The principle of proportion also applies to the interior space: a miniature building should not be loaded with massive furniture. Then you will feel uncomfortable, cramped.
Use lightweight chairs that can be carried in the rain or benches. But in a solid stone pergola, place more furniture around the barbecue oven, near the fireplace (internal layout options can be seen in the photo on the Internet).
Repetition of lines, shapes, colours in all elements is a competent technique to achieve unity. For example, you can use hexagonal tile elements to pave paths if the site has a gazebo of the same shape and even flower beds. A house painted white will organically complement other buildings of the same shade.
All elements involved in creating the landscape design should comply with the style of the main building: a residential building. This is one of the design approaches based on the principle of unity. In the designers’ photo, you can see how organically all the elements look.
What styles can the pergola awning have?
Stylistic diversity is traced:
- Classic pergola awning. These are a type of air awning, as if floating above the ground, covering them from the sun with cross beams and vegetation;
- Pergola awning country: These are mostly wooden canopies or pergola awnings. It has varieties: Provençal, English, Italian, Greek, Japanese, others;
- Modern pergola awning: Clear lines, contrasts, functionality are its defining features;
- High-tech pergola awning: These are pergola awning on the terrace of the original form. It can be made of equally unusual materials;
- Oriental pergola arbours: They resemble a Japanese pagoda;
- Rustic pergola awning: Made of unhewn logs, branches. Fans of fairy tales about forest monsters will recognise a rough wooden pergola awning of this type on any building.
Pergola awning for garden sheds.
The utilitarian importance of this type of pergola awning structures is clear: the simplest support type construction is a simple and economical form of vertical organisation of conditions for effective growth and fruiting of cultivated plants.
Thus, with this pergola awning system, grapes were grown in ancient times, and later other types of shrubs. The gardeners of those times noticed: the curly lashes give a much higher yield if they cling to a support and climb up it. And the quality of the product is much higher: less rotting, bruising, diseases.
In the following video I show you how to assemble and what a pergola awning is:
That is, nature itself suggested how to grow bushes for weaving; man had only to devise a reliable framework. It became a pergola canopy: at first assembled from branches. Now the canopy is made of wood, metal, plastic, stone, brick. The choice of canopy material depends on the functional load, the style of the main building, the budget and the location.
Wooden awning for pergolas. Ancient history.
Even in ancient times, great architects preferred the naturalistic style in the construction and decoration of various objects. It is still in demand today: people like to feel at one with nature, they are impressed by beautiful natural landscapes. Therefore, the use of beautiful and ecological awning and pergola pavilions is the trend of our time.
Wooden pergola awnings for garden gazebos.
The wooden canopy pergola awning is a typographic structure of repeated sections (arches, pillars), which are connected by crossbars. It is both a garden arbour and a support for green plants (roses, grapes), it protects from the sun and bad weather.
Once upon a time in ancient Rome, pergola awnings were used as a support for climbing plants (grapes, honeysuckle). The use of a pergola awning on a country estate or restaurant terrace is an opportunity to decorate the space with natural elements that are skilfully combined with technical achievements. Any place becomes more beautiful if you install a wooden or metal structure with climbing plants.
The territory will be comfortable for people, because the automation allows you to adjust the amount of sun entering the premises; avoid strong wind and rain. In Spain pergola awnings for gazebos are in demand among summer residents and owners of city establishments.
Their aim is to create a cosy outdoor area to meet with friends, have a good time alone or with your loved ones, eat delicious food and drink. While relaxing on the terrace or in the gazebo, people feel how close they are to nature, how beautiful it is all around.
Pergola awning for terraces.
This is one of the varieties of awning types, which is distinguished by its functionality, reliability and attractive appearance. A pergola awning for terraces is a retractable sun protection system that protects people, furniture and plants from rain and bad weather.
Pergola terrace awnings are necessary when it is not possible to install a free-standing structure. It is suitable for creating a recreation area directly next to the house or restaurant. The design resembles a hinged structure with additional support points to the ground or floor.
Thanks to this solution, pergola awnings can be extended up to a considerable distance from the wall (about 6.5 m). They protect against UV radiation, rain and snow, not only from the side of the roof, but also from the front. This is of great importance when it is necessary to arrange a terrace in an open place where it is windy, as well as in areas close to busy roads.
Functions of a pergola awning in the countryside.
In a thoughtful and well-executed landscape design, a pergola awning is needed not only to support the plants.
It performs many tasks:
- It zones the site at the homeowner’s discretion. A beautifully designed pergola canopy divides the space and adds to each zone its own function. The canopied territory is visually perceived better. It creates a place for a pleasant pastime in nature.
- If it is a private house, then it is realistic to arrange a place for privacy.
- If it is a cafe, to form a pleasant area for conversation and eating.
- Decorate the patio. If the place looks rustic, just add an awning pergola. It will correct the situation: it will make the territory presentable, elegant and stylish.
- Disguise unattractive outbuildings.
- If you need to hide technical buildings (garage, barn, chicken coop), you can build an awning pergola in the country. It will distract attention to itself and hide all unsightly objects.
- The inexpensive pergola awning pergola type retractable pergola with European components for a summer cottage, garden plot, country house with free delivery can be with us.
Types of pergolas and awnings for holiday homes.
You can ennoble the territory of a summer house or a public catering establishment through this type of awning pergola screens. It is used in suburban construction to form a beautiful retreat. There a person can relax, read, without worrying about being watched.
A great addition would be to decorate the screen with plants. To do this, it should be erected in the place where there is a hedge. Green” corridor. Difficult to install, but a very elegant option. The pergola is constructed from several arches (they can be of different sizes), securely connected by a guide.
The canopy is relevant when there are long garden paths or paths on the site. It protects well from the scorching sun, rain and also acts as a decorative element.
Pergola awning for tents.
This is a hinged structure, which is placed as a gazebo or terrace. It can be placed near the garage, in the garden and anywhere else. The pergola tent awning protects well from the sun due to the durable acrylic canvas, so it is actively used also to decorate the terraces of restaurants and cafes. A separate type is the pergola garden awning, which performs several functions at the same time.
Characteristics of the choice of pergola awnings.
If it was decided to buy a pergola, it is necessary to pay attention to some nuances:
- Decide on the availability of automation. The pergola awning structures can be controlled by an electric motor. This allows you to perform various manipulations remotely, which saves time and effort.
- The installation of an electric drive also helps to reduce wear and tear on the mechanisms, as it completely avoids the possibility of improper impact on the structure.
- For restaurants and cafés, automatic control is the best option.
- For domestic use, you can choose simpler options. Choose the shape and type of pergola awning that best suits you.
- The choice is large: there are arched, slanted, straight and other options. It is important that the shape of the pergola awning fits the overall style of the establishment or summerhouse.
- Decide on the materials to be used. Wood, aluminium or a combination of both is optimal. The tree will fit into the ecological style, it will attract the attention of nature-loving visitors.
- Metal elements will add reliability and durability to the pergola awning.
Choose a roof for the pergola awning.
Looks better: polycarbonate, awning fabric and slatted roof. Each option has its own characteristics. For example, a slatted roof is equipped with aluminium slats, which function as blinds and allow you to control the amount of sunlight.
In this link I help you to know more details about the pergola awning through the articles of the awning ideas blog.
Bioclimatic pergola awning.
Modern manufacturers offer high-quality aluminium pergola awnings that can be used even in the cold season and reliably protect against precipitation, wind and cold. They are available as other buildings, adjacent to the house or free-standing, with a fixed or retractable roof, in the form of suspended or self-supporting awnings, single or multiple modules.
They are distinguished from conventional models by the presence of built-in drainage systems, lighting, electric drive, conditional walls (side protection devices), rotating slats: a great idea for organising a patio, barbecue area, open areas of cafes, bars.
Bioclimatic pergola awnings are expensive, but provide comfortable conditions in cold climates. Consequently, these models are in demand by owners of commercial facilities, country houses. Their great advantage is their lightness and modular structure. This makes it possible to extend the design if necessary.
In the following link I show you another very interesting and economical awning: the sail awning.
More democratic, but still high, is the price of the bioclimatic hanging pergola awning installed on the wall of the house. It protects from the sun, creates shade or semi-shade at the request of holidaymakers, and protects from rainfall. This system can also be equipped with backlighting.
Pergola awning with wooden canopy.
Pergola awnings were originally made of wood, so wooden awnings can be called classic.
Benefits of pergola awnings:
- It fits organically into almost any landscape and style.
- Wooden construction materials are combined with others, especially of natural origin.
- Attractive natural tone, wooden structure. Possibility to make a product with your own hands.
However, the wood of this type of pergola awning needs to be treated with special compounds (nitro enamel, linotex, etc.), which prevent decay and susceptibility to fire. Throughout the lifetime of the frame elements, they should be inspected, maintained and stained.
The most popular tree species for the construction of canopies for wooden pergola awnings are:
- Oak: hard, very durable, rot-resistant, bends, has a beautiful colour and structure.
- Larch – very durable, moisture-resistant, does not warp when dry
- Yew – hard, durable, well processed, resistant to insects
- Spruce – soft, sticks well, does not bear heavy loads.
- Pine – light, malleable for processing
- Maple – durable, hard, does not warp, resistant to decay.
The construction material of the pergola with awning must be pre-dried and treated with antiseptics and flame retardants, otherwise the structure will be deformed and unsafe.
Willow wood is suitable for the upper floors of the pergola awning, but the use of a fruit board is not recommended: a pear lends itself easily to a wormhole, an apple tree and a plum tree are very crooked.
It happens that pergola awnings are made of valuable wood species (red, black, eucalyptus), but their cost is very high. Rustic-style buildings are made of untreated logs.
What’s new in the modern pergola awning.
- The first thing you should pay attention to is the use of an additional vertical canvas in the front profile. The awnings, adjustable in terms of degree of lowering, are not only finely adjusted, protecting from the low sun, but also hide from prying eyes, gusts of wind.
- Another “comfort option” is the automation of control processes with built-in wind, temperature and sun sensors. When the set values are reached, the pergola awning will open or, conversely, hide the awning in a protective box.
- A worthwhile addition to create a cosy atmosphere is a built-in infrared heater. The infrared waves emitted by the device, imperceptible to the eye, will make the microclimate milder and the evening warmer.
- In conclusion, it is worth noting that the same control devices are applicable for controlling pergola awnings as for window automation, roller shutters, blinds, shutters, which ultimately allows to connect all devices in a single centre.
Taking into account the details of a particular place of application, experts will recommend a fabric solution, a set of automation and mechanisms, as well as additional options that you are interested in and need.
So let’s recap.
Supporting structures not only play qualitatively the main role: supporting plants, but also function effectively in the overall impression of the site, creating a cosy protection from the sun.
Any material needs to be taken care of: buy wooden elements or slabs. Draw diagrams, study, plan; then the site will look harmonious and rest will bring only pleasure. And if there is no time to carry out these activities, we should hire professionals from the awning of pergolas to do the job for us.
Professionals will measure, make a structure with the best materials, deliver it to the site and install your pergola awning